The cleaning services industry is dynamic and has many moving parts that need to be managed efficiently to ensure business success and growth. A major factor influencing this is your cleaning services schedule. Below we unpack what your cleaning services schedule should include, the importance of planning, implementing, and monitoring this schedule, and how to effectively do this utilising innovative technology.
Cleaning Services Schedule
The success of a cleaning services business largely relies on the customer experience and ensuring that your employees are meeting their job assignments within the allocated time frame scheduled. To ensure that this is happening, you may be utilising a cleaning services schedule.
This schedule works as a calendar and contains information related to the:
- Job specifics, clients requirements and contractual needs that have to be met.
- The employees assigned to the job.
- The roles and responsibilities of the job.
- The location, shift hours, and times allocated to the job.
- Recurring shifts for the same customer – these could be a weekly cleaning schedule, bi-weekly, include specific days like a Wednesday and Friday etc.
Many operations managers will also include a cleaning schedule checklist to accompany this schedule. This checklist will highlight the different requirements that employees need to tick off their to-do list for the job to be completed. The points included in these checklists are guidelines that set the standards for which cleanliness will be measured in relation to the maid service and the routine that should be followed. There are several different types of checklists, below are just a few examples:
- Kitchen cleaning checklists – include cleaning the crucial areas of kitchens such as floors, sinks, vents, equipment, tables, ovens, walk-in refrigerators, dumpster pads, exhaust hood systems, etc.
- Hotel room cleaning checklists – remove and replace linen, remove and replace restroom items, spray and scrub fixtures, vacuum, wipe surfaces and fixtures, clean the shower and tub, take linens and towels to the laundry room, clean toilets, wipe light fixtures etc.
- Office cleaning checklist – empty all trash receptacles and replace liners, wash dishes, clean sinks, vacuum the carpet and rugs, dust all horizontal surfaces, clean fingerprints from entrance glass, wipe down blinds, mop floors, clean and polish mirrors etc.
- School Cleaning Checklist – clean all visible surfaces, declutter counters, remove litter from the stairs, wipe and clean the windows and doors, vacuum the floors, dust and clean the desks, chairs and all visible surfaces, wipe and clean the blackboard/whiteboard and window sills, dust ceiling fan, etc.
From the above, it is clear that a cleaning services schedule plays an essential role in ensuring that you have the right employees at the right location, performing the right jobs at the right time. This is critical to ensuring productivity, operational efficiency, customer satisfaction and maximising your labour efficiency.
It sounds simple enough, doesn’t it? But in reality, this process is incredibly complex due to the number of moving parts that you, as an operations manager, need to manage and schedule. So what is the solution? Our answer lies in utilising a cleaning services scheduling software solution.
Why use a cleaning services schedule software solution?
Scheduling software is changing the cleaning services industry as we know it. Gone are the days of manually searching through your various excel spreadsheets trying to manage and update your employees’ schedules in relation to your cleaning contracts and services. By utilising technology like, Adapt IT’s EasyRoster, you can do this effortlessly and automatically.
The EasyRoster technology has been developed with the cleaning services industry in mind. Our team has over 25 years of industry experience and expertise, which went into the design of this solution. We aim to assist you in maximising your labour efficiency and ensuring that your cleaning services schedule ticks all the necessary boxes.
The secret to the effectiveness of this solution lies in the features the platform provides.
- Contract management – Details regarding each site or location are captured and maintained in EasyRoster. When roster and attendance hours or shifts are registered for a site, they are compared to the requirements of the contract or site – providing you with a bird’s eye view of all jobs and operational requirements.
- Personnel management – Details regarding each person to be managed are captured and maintained in EasyRoster. This allows you to choose and assess the right employees for the project, site or job.
- Staff scheduling per location – Scheduling (rostering) of personnel shifts is done per location and may be done manually or automatically. This allows you to ensure that the right employees are at the right locations, enables you to track and get overtime alerts, monitors non-productive time, and provides sales data that you can use to determine the profit per site.
- Time and attendance per location – The capturing of actual attendance details is done per location and may be done manually or automatically. This allows you to pull reports and make the necessary adjustments to attendance to ensure that sites are correctly covered, and that wage costs are kept to a minimum.
- Minimise wage costs – The most crucial functionality provided by EasyRoster, is the power of the management information and reports that are provided. These reports highlight incorrect rostering and attendance regarding the number and grades of personnel rostered or posted at a site, projected and actual wage costs, overtime, non-productive time, site profitability etc. This enables an operations manager to keep day-to-day real-time control of operations to ensure that costs are kept to a minimum and personnel requirements are precisely met.
- Flexible business rules – EasyRoster is highly customisable and flexible, allowing for the creation of customised business rules according to your requirements which could include shift type definitions, wage rules, grades/rank, allowances, earnings and more.
These features lend themselves to several benefits for your business and your scheduling process
- Shift management at client locations – EasyRoster acts as a tool to assist you in managing cleaners at your clients’ locations. Not only does this improve operational efficiency and save costs, but it also helps your marketing and sales teams to promote and sell your services.
- Increased productivity and efficiency – this cleaning services scheduling software automates rostering which increases productivity and the efficiency of the rostering process, as it frees up staff to do more important things than work on the same tasks over and over again.
- Optimise your operational efficiency – Minimise manual scheduling through our workforce management software that provides functionality for the setting up of rules according to which automatic scheduling should take place. Minimise manual attendance registration by either using the roster as the basis for automatic attendance registration whereafter exceptions are captured manually, or use clocking technologies to register attendance automatically.
- Minimise wage costs by keeping day-to-day control and management of operations – access reports that highlight insights related to incorrect rostering and attendance of cleaners rostered or posted at a site, projected and actual wage costs, overtime, non-productive time site profitability etc. This solution will allow you to forecast wage costs, including overtime, non-productive time, allowances, etc., per cleaner and per site, based on the roster.
- Easily control attendance exceptions – this technology allows you to easily identify and control exceptions such as absenteeism, leave, IOD, training, suspensions, under/over postings etc.
Managing the day-to-day operations within a cleaning services business is a monumental task that requires you to have several ticked boxes, the most important being your cleaning services schedule. This schedule is the key to enhanced efficiency, effective employee management, a great customer experience and ultimately profitability. This is why so many operations managers are turning towards innovative software solutions like EasyRoster to maximise this process’s efficiency and enhance operations. For more on how EasyRoster can help you do this, book a demo today.
As a Senior Product Manager at Adapt IT, I lead the division responsible for one of our flagship products, EasyRoster. Our primary focus is to empower organisations with top-tier Workforce Management Software, enabling them to optimise operational efficiency and streamline processes.
With over 12 years of experience in the industry, I have collaborated with clients across 25+ countries, delivering training sessions and offering labor efficiency consultations to diverse groups of professionals.
In my capacity as Senior Product Manager, I oversee a multidisciplinary team that together, strive to create innovative solutions and maintain our commitment to excellence in the realm of workforce management.